Author of her own destiny
By Andrew Edgecliffe-Johnson
The solitary bookcase in Jane Friedman’s SoHo office is half empty. Her home library has 10,000 volumes, she says, but after a 40-year publishing career that saw her rise from being a Dictaphone typist at Random House to chief executive of HarperCollins, she rarely picks up a hardback nowadays.
Three years after her abrupt exit from Rupert Murdoch’s books division, Ms Friedman now reads on an Amazon Kindle. It is one of many changes since setting up Open Road Integrated Media in 2009 to crack the challenging market created by the Kindle and rival e-reading devices, such as Barnes & Noble’s Nook and the Sony Reader, and Apple’s iPad.
At the helm of HarperCollins, Ms Friedman oversaw a staff of 3,000, from New York to New Delhi. Now her employees number about 25 and she is not ready to disclose her start-up’s revenues and targets.
- The Lineup: A New Community for Mystery Fans
- SocialChorus Closes $7.5M in Series B Funding and Opens Vancouver Office
- Open Road and Bill Gates Revitalize Business Adventures
- City Colleges of Chicago Saves Students $4 Million with Akademos
- College CFO’s Confirm Students are Shopping Outside the College Bookstore Looking for More Competitive Textbook Pricing
- Akademos Ranks Textbook Affordability for 1,500 Colleges and Universities
- ClearEdge Power Completes Acquisition of UTC Power
- Wordlock Featured on DIY Network’s “I Want That”
- The Chicago School of Professional Psychology Partners with Akademos to Improve Online Bookstore Services
- Al Jazeera buys Current TV, will launch new channel
- ClearEdge Power to Acquire UTC Power
- Cloud-based SocialChorus delivers real-time analytics
- What is the Future of Books in a Digital World?
- Virtual Bookstore Services Provider Akademos Releases Summary of Student Textbook Sales and College Bookstore Revenue Trends
- Florida Technical Colleges Adopt Virtual Bookstores as Cost-Effective Alternative to On-Campus Bookstores
- Thank you James, Caitlin, Katie, Shaw, Vanessa(s), Liz, Michelle
- Akademos Launches Textbook Adoption Tool, an Online Portal for Selecting the Best Textbooks Based on Quality and Value
- London Book Fair 2012: Open Road Launches International Program with Mondadori
- Scripps Networks Interactive acquires RealGravity Inc.
- Author of her own destiny
- Vintners’ Alliances’ Winery Partners Sell 14% More Wine
- ClearEdge Designs Fuel Cells To Replace Power From The Grid
- Nine Titles Join Alice Walker Ebook Collection From Open Road Integrated Media
- Travel and Leisure: America’s Coolest Coffee Houses
- Portland Community College Celebrates Commissioning of Combined Heat and Power Fuel Cell System