Leading Organic Winery Increases Energy Efficiency and Supports Sustainability Goals with ClearEdge Power
ClearEdge5 Stationary Continuous Power System Enables Stone Edge Farm to Benefit from Clean, Cost-Effective Energy
SONOMA, Calif. – July 22, 2011 – ClearEdge Power, a manufacturer of high-efficiency stationary fuel cells, today announced that Stone Edge Farm, an organic farm and winery located in California’s Sonoma Valley, is leveraging the ClearEdge5 system to advance its energy efficiency and sustainability goals. The ClearEdge5 system enables Stone Edge Farm to significantly reduce the energy costs required to run a successful estate and vineyard. In particular, it reduces the energy required to run the farm’s irrigation system and lights.
“At Stone Edge Farm we are committed to making world-class organic wine, while also to serving as an industry steward of sustainable practices in agriculture, farming and conservation,” said Mac McQuown, proprietor, Stone Edge Farm. “A key to minimizing our impact on the earth is determining energy efficiency best practices that help meet the operational needs of our growing agricultural operations. ClearEdge Power has been instrumental in helping us advance toward this goal by providing a system that significantly reduces our dependence on traditional energy sources while dramatically lowering our carbon emissions.”
By using the ClearEdge5 to provide power and heat for some operational functions, Stone Edge Farm expects to save 49 percent on its electricity bill and remove 24,000 pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2) from the environment annually. The financial savings will allow the winery to save more than $250,000 on total energy costs over a 20-year period. In addition to the clear financial benefits, Stone Edge Farm chose the ClearEdge5 system for its efficiency, ease-of-installation and overall aesthetic value.
“StoneEdge Farm is making tremendous strides in reducing the environmental impact of their agricultural production, and we are excited they have included our ClearEdge5 system as part of their impressive sustainability efforts,” said ClearEdge Power President and CEO Russell Ford. “This deployment clearly demonstrates the economic and environmental benefits that commercial and agricultural entities, like farms and wineries, can achieve with onsite continuous power systems such as the ClearEdge5. By providing efficient and 24/7 access to clean power and heat we can help businesses achieve energy independence, while saving money and becoming better stewards of the environment.”
The ClearEdge5 is a 5-kilowatt fuel cell from ClearEdge Power that combines heat and power in a scalable solution that can meet individual business’ specific energy needs. Unlike power sources that use traditional combustion technology, the ClearEdge5 uses an electrochemical process to convert natural gas to electricity and heat. This process dramatically reduces the environmental impact of producing electricity by reducing carbon dioxide emissions by approximately 35 to 40 percent compared to traditionalcombustion technology. Roughly the size of a standard refrigerator and incorporating a system for real-time remote monitoring, the innovative fuel cell system also reduces other typical pollutants, such as volatile organic compounds, ash and particulates, to trace levels.
About ClearEdge Power
ClearEdge Power is a global, privately held, technology company leading the way for smarter, cleaner on-site energy systems focused on commercial, institutional and residentialbuildings. The company designs, manufactures and markets the ClearEdge5 system, a proven fuel cell appliance that cleanly converts natural gas to electricity and heat, offering both significant financial and energy savings, as well as a greatly reduced impact on the global environment. The ClearEdge Power corporate management systems are certified to ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
# # # # #
- The Lineup: A New Community for Mystery Fans
- SocialChorus Closes $7.5M in Series B Funding and Opens Vancouver Office
- Open Road and Bill Gates Revitalize Business Adventures
- City Colleges of Chicago Saves Students $4 Million with Akademos
- College CFO’s Confirm Students are Shopping Outside the College Bookstore Looking for More Competitive Textbook Pricing
- Akademos Ranks Textbook Affordability for 1,500 Colleges and Universities
- ClearEdge Power Completes Acquisition of UTC Power
- Wordlock Featured on DIY Network’s “I Want That”
- The Chicago School of Professional Psychology Partners with Akademos to Improve Online Bookstore Services
- Al Jazeera buys Current TV, will launch new channel
- ClearEdge Power to Acquire UTC Power
- Cloud-based SocialChorus delivers real-time analytics
- What is the Future of Books in a Digital World?
- Virtual Bookstore Services Provider Akademos Releases Summary of Student Textbook Sales and College Bookstore Revenue Trends
- Florida Technical Colleges Adopt Virtual Bookstores as Cost-Effective Alternative to On-Campus Bookstores
- Thank you James, Caitlin, Katie, Shaw, Vanessa(s), Liz, Michelle
- Akademos Launches Textbook Adoption Tool, an Online Portal for Selecting the Best Textbooks Based on Quality and Value
- London Book Fair 2012: Open Road Launches International Program with Mondadori
- Scripps Networks Interactive acquires RealGravity Inc.
- Author of her own destiny
- Vintners’ Alliances’ Winery Partners Sell 14% More Wine
- ClearEdge Designs Fuel Cells To Replace Power From The Grid
- Nine Titles Join Alice Walker Ebook Collection From Open Road Integrated Media
- Travel and Leisure: America’s Coolest Coffee Houses
- Portland Community College Celebrates Commissioning of Combined Heat and Power Fuel Cell System